Made your list, checked it twice… but did you remember to boost your security? We sat down with John Kennedy, President of Jewelers’ Security Alliance, to compile a helpful list of security tips specifically geared towards keeping you and yours safe this holiday season!
- Holiday inventories may be substantially greater than a jeweler’s normal inventory. Make sure your jewelers block insurance coverage is sufficient for any higher inventory.
- The holiday season may cause days of hectic selling (hopefully!). Even in busy times, keep all showcases locked except when actually taking out merchandise or returning merchandise to the showcase.
- At the holidays jewelers may hire additional seasonal or part time employees. Even these seasonal employees should receive basic instruction on proper security practices, such as thorough weekly staff meetings on security or by reading the JSA Manual of Jewelry Security.
- Even with long and late holiday workdays at the store, don’t cut corners with regard to putting all merchandise away in a safe at night.
- There is currently a wave of distraction thefts in the U.S. by gypsy gangs. Beware of three or more “customers” entering the store together. Their purpose may be to distract you. Additionally, beware of multiple customers who do not enter together, but who appear to be working in cooperation to distract you.